A monthly column in the Tri-City Voice
No question is too big or too small. Have a local history question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions. Be sure to include “Tri-City History Queries” in the Subject Line.
No. 1: January 26, 2021: Where does the name Mowry come from? Why is there a house in the middle of Sylvester P. Harvey Community Park?
No. 2: February 23, 2021: Gladiolas and Union City. What’s the connection?
No. 3: March 23, 2021: What are those old brick structures over at Washington Boulevard and Osgood Road in Fremont?
No. 4 May 4, 2021: What was happening in Alvarado 100 years ago?
No. 5 May 25, 2021: Where do the street names come from? (Niles)
L: Jose de Jesus Vallejo, R: Artistic depiction of Vallejo’s two flour mills at Niles. Painted in 1860 by Vallejo’s daughter Maria del Carmen when she was 12 years old.
L: Mayhew Orange Orchard, R: Essanay Studios
No. 6. June 29, 2021: Where does the name Stevenson come from?
L: Jane and John Thomas Stevenson, R: First Fremont City Council (1956) – Jack Stevenson seated middle.
L: Stevenson Homestead (1904), taken by Carrie L. Stevenson Emerson, R: Stevenson Ranch
No. 7. July 27, 2021: What was happening in July 1907?
Excerpts from The Washington Press, a newspaper out of Niles (Fremont), July 20, 1907