The Vallejo family was a prominent family that lived across from the Mission. In 1836 Jose de Jesus Vallejo was appointed administrator of Mission San Jose to sell the mission lands. He constructed an adobe across from the mission and another where today the California Nursery Historical Park is located in the Niles district.
There were four ranchos carved out of the mission lands, Rancho Arroyo de la Alameda (owned by Jesus Vallejo), Rancho del Agua Caliente (owned by Fulgencio Francisco Higuera), Rancho Potrero de los Cerritos (owned by Augustin Alviso and Tomas Pacheco) and Rancho Ex-Mission San Jose Lands (owned by Andres Pico and Juan Alvarado).
Jose Vallejo built a flourmill, powered by oxen, in Niles Canyon in 1838.
The display case includes a map of the four ranchos; a genealogy of Vallejo family members with pictures; personal items owned by Vallejo family members (shoes, a white airman shawl, a black lace shawl, embroidered handkerchiefs, a prayer book, a catechism book, a gentleman’s fan, a model of the Higuera adobe, two drawings of the Mission taken before the earthquake of 1868, and two mission-style candle stick holders.
An adobe roof tile taken from the roof of the adobe home of the Vallejo family. It was once located across from the mission where of the Olive Hyde Community Center stands today.
Photographs include: Inside the Higuera adobe after its rebuilding, Maria Antonio Vallejo Kern with long hair, soldier from the reenactment of the Anza expedition (1776-1976).